Monday, May 23, 2011

À nous deux maintenant

So here I am sitting at the airport in Charlotte, waiting for my connection home, and all I keep thinking is "why is EVERYONE here speaking English?" I feel totally out of place sitting at the airport restaurant trying to figure out why I can't order a beer, why I'm tipping the waitress 20% when I didn't even get free bread, or why the lady in the bathroom gave me a funny look when I said "Oh, pardon!" after bumping into her. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely amazing to be able to order a big glass of sweet tea (oh how I missed it) and to know that I'm coming home to homemade hamburgers and fries, but I can't help but feel like I got on the wrong plane. I'm really supposed to be taking a vacation to the South of France and am going back to Paris next week.  Also, the sound of a thick, southern American accent is slightly burning my ears. "Dag gone right" doesn't have the same ring as "Mais oui, bien sûr!"
In all seriousness, I can't believe this journey has come to an end. Or maybe it really has just started, because I feel as though I have a whole new love affair with Paris. I went on this trip entirely for myself, and never in my life had I made a truly selfish decision. I am SO glad I did.  I have never been so happy to have done something in my entire life.  I got the opportunity to live like a true Parisian college student, was able to travel to places I had only dreamed of, and made some lifelong friendships in the process.  I would not change a moment of this experience and really need to wake up from the dream of a semester I have had.
If you're an API student reading this, I owe you a huge thank you for playing a part in the greatest 3 months of my life. Each one of you had an impact on me and have helped me discover who I am and what I want in life. I will miss you all more than words can describe, so PLEASE keep in touch...especially if you ever make it down South! Don't laissent-moi, I promise I'll show you the traditional hospitality :)


I still have several entries and photos to post and will as soon as I have ample sleep and internet access. Keep checking back!

At our favorite bar, Bého



Celebrating Elizabeth's 21st at Buddha Bar

Dinner and show at le Moulin Rouge!

Reuniting with friends in Prague

Out to a Scottish bar at 10 am to watch the Royal Wedding!



Nearly everyone

Sur la plage in Cassis

Overlooking Marseille

Santé à Champagne


In Loire

A night at l'Opéra
In Monet's gardens at Giverny

After lunch in Honfleur

Exploring on our first day :)

Je vous aime, toujours

Good thing I'm back in the States now (I guess) or else my heart would belong to Paris forever :) As Rastignac said in Honoré de Balzac's famous novel, Le Père Goriot, "À nous deux, maintenant Paris!" It's true, it's between you and I now Paris. À bientot.

No comments:

Post a Comment